Wednesday, February 27, 2019

Stefan’s Diaries: The Craving Chapter 18

There were two hundred blocks between the Richards mansion and business district New York City. Just beneath ten miles. But moving corresponding a vampire isnt similar running in a usual sense, especially as I had bonny drained peerless of the Richards goats. If I was a blur to the world, so was the world to me. My head was down as I spent my entire focus on avoiding the obstacles right to begin with me and assay to exhaust myself. Down from the rocky cliffs and heights of Fort Tryon with its placid trees, and done the valley that separated it from the rest of the city. Back into civilization, the unpaved obscenity roads that smelled of dust and plants, particularly the tobacco I recognized from my primaeval Virginia.After enduring a week of waiting and watching and adjudicateing to prohibited designate my brother, I exactly wanted it to all be over.And now it wasnt.Damon couldnt despatch Winfield until the cash was available, and who knew how long that was going to b e. In the meantime I had to balk with Brid cleave, keep tabs on the Sutherlands, pretend to be happily married, and continue to try and figure out Damons endgame.I was caught in a web of unrighteousness every move of mine stuck another limb deeper. I just wanted to break free.I wish I could live in solitude. If I had to live out eternity as a vampire, at the very least I could leave no evidence of it. No deaths, no injury, no hurt, no evidence of my unnatural existence at all. I was running from myself, my new self, and could never escape, just as I ran from Damon, my shadow in this endless after living.The scent of nature soon gave look to the reek of sewage and rot that clung to even rich neighborhoods. In the alleyways stub the giant houses, servants dumped slop out into abide streets and milk carts left smart dairy products on back steps. All they would notice was a weird rush of wind, a vacuum that had been created in my passing, a momentary dingyening against a brick wall like a cloud had passed over the sun.In the Garment District my nose was assailed by the harsh tang of chemicals and the singeing of fibers as young women cut, sewed, and dyed cloth in the factories that were beginning to replace the farms in New York City. Leaning against the fire escape with their sleeves pushed up, small clusters of these young women take cigarettes on their precious breaks.As I tore by one female child, cutting it very close, my tail wind snuffed out her match. I looked back to see her staring, confused, at the feather of smoke.Soon I was overcome by the smell of valet de chambre flesh and waste. Of horse manure and flickering catalyst lamps. Of industry, print and ink and black smog, of the river, briny fish, and finally a spanking breeze. These were the plainly details of the city I took in, all sounds and sights muted to a roaring black and white. Expensive perfume and flowers. Butchered meat and smoky bacon. corn and gingerI stopped suddenly, in the middle of Washington Square. That was Katherines perfume.A hand clasped my shoulder, and I spun around expectantly.But instead of seeing the dark curls of the woman who had do me, I found myself face-to-face with Damon, who stood there, one forehead raised in condescending amusement.My face fell and I slumped, enfeeblement and despair overtaking me. I didnt even bother shaking strike his hand. Where was I going to go, really? My brother had followed me all the way up the East Coast. So long as I refused to drink compassionate blood, he would always be stronger, faster than I was. I was only delaying the inevitable by trying to escape whatever he had plotted next.Its our wedding night, brother. Where are you off to? Damons voice was sharp.Exhausted from my marathon of disturb and escape, I just stood there. I was going to come back.Damon rolled his eyes. Ill get us a cab, he said, snapping his fingers. One came over immediately. Seventy-third and Fifth, he ordered, through the trap entry.Were going to the Sutherlands? I asked, confused. Not the Richards?Were going home, Damon corrected. And yes, the receptions over. You ran out at the very end.What did you tell Bridget? I couldnt help asking. While I didnt have it away her, I felt bad about abandoning her at her own wedding. In some ways, it was the worst thing that I could do to a girl like her.Damon rolled his eyes. Dont worry. They dont even realize youve gone missing.So you havent killed them just?Whoever said I was going to kill them? he asked innocently. Do you think Im some kind of monster?Yes, I said.Well, I am what you made me, Damon said with a tip of his hat.Youre not making this any easier, I muttered.You must have me mistaken for someone who cares about making your life easier, Damon said, suddenly cold, his eyes flashing.You know, youve taken a lot of effort to make headway sure you stay in my life, I pointed out. Are you sure its just to make me miserable?He stared at me. What are y ou getting at?I think you need me, Damon, I growled. I think that under your anger, youre scared and horrified of what youve become. I am the last link to your human self, the only person who knows who you are. And Im the only person for the rest of eternity who will.Damon narrow his eyes at me.Brother, you dont know anything about me, he hissed.He threw the door of the cab open and swung himself up and out. A soft thunk indicated he had set down on the roof. I stuck my head out the window and looked up.I watched with villainy as Damon picked up the driver and ripped his neck open, sucking only a mouthful or two before throwing him off the cab and on to the street.Damon Stop I yelled, but it was too late. I tried to come down out the door, to go after the injured man, but Damon threw an arm out and pushed me back into the carriage as he sped around a corner.Perched on top of the cab, mouth covered in blood, Damon whipped the horse into a form bubbles frenzy. And so we two brothe rs hurled northward, one driving and one being driven, like Satan compelling the damned.

No comments:

Post a Comment